- This event has passed.
Spiritual Care and End of Life
February 15, 2018 @ 8:30 am - 2:30 pm$25
You are invited to
A Day for Professional and Spiritual Enrichment!
Facilitators for the day:
David A. Lichter, DMin
Mary Reichert, BCC
Dr. Maritza Ramos-Pratt, DHA, MA, MPS, BCC
Sponsored by the National Association of Catholic Chaplains
A Warm Welcome to All Serving in Spiritual Care Ministries!
A significant portion of our profession is being with individuals and families as they or their loved ones are facing the last days/weeks of their lives. With the use of articles from the November-December 2017 issue of CHA Health Progress that focused on end-of-life issues, we will devote the day to examine and reflect on our ministry with people at end-of-life. Participants are encouraged to read these articles prior to the gathering. They can be accessed at:
The first session will use the Health Progress Reflection Guide on the “Holding Life and Death in Dynamic Tension,” by Daniel P. Sulmasy, MD, PhD. This will help us to reflect on our ministry, as well as to consider how we might use this guide with staff.
The other sessions will focus on the following issues, based on our reading of the articles and own experience:
- Our role with the interdisciplinary team in helping the others be comfortable and confident in addressing end-of-life issue with patients/families.
- Our role in assisting others in preparing for “a good death.”
- What we have personally done (read, personal work on facing death/suffering, workshops, mentoring, other) to improve our practices of ministering at end-of-life.
- Review the role and contributions of chaplains who minister to the dying and to their families.
- Experience the practice of reflecting with colleagues on end-of-life care.
- Explore with one another ways of improving one’s own ministry at end-of-life care.
Program of Events:
8:30 – 8:45 a.m.: Registration
8:45 – 10:15 a.m.: Session 1
10:15 – 10:30 a.m.: Break
10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Session 2
12:00 – 12:45 p.m.: Lunch
12:45 – 2:00 p.m.: Session 3
2:00 – 2:30 p.m.: Wrap-up
A $25 participant fee will cover refreshments, lunch and the program. 4.75 CEH’s are offered.
Please complete the registration form and send it, along with your $25 check made out to NACC to: National Association of Catholic Chaplains, 4915 S. Howell Avenue, Suite 501, Milwaukee, WI 53207. Alternatively, you may register and pay by credit card online: REGISTER.
If you have any questions please contact Andris Kursietis at the national office: 414-483-4898 or Akursietis@nacc.org.