Ministry at your Fingertips: High Touch, Hi-Tech, or Vir-Touch
90 Minute Workshop
Sunday, June 2, 2019 (3:15 pm session)
Workshop Level: Intermediate
NACC Certification Competencies: PIC 3.2; PPS 6; ITP6; PPS7
Augustine (Austine) Duru, MA, MDiv, BCC
Regional Director, Mission Integration, SSM Health
One of the greatest gifts chaplains and ministers bring to their ministry is the gift of presence. This quality of presence allows ministers to listen with intentionality and empathy and respond with compassion and high-touch. Virtual platforms and mobile technology in ministry might appear to be in conflict with the idea of active presence, yet the evolving use of virtual technology and mobile applications or “apps” in ministry settings are increasingly being embraced as credible avenues for engagement and tools at the minister’s finger tips. This workshop explores some of these emerging trends and examines the benefits and burdens involved. It also highlights some of the best practices and a few pretty creative apps that ministers and faith community leaders might find useful and handy in their work.
As a result of this workshop, participants will:
- Become familiar with the ministry specific apps and learn ways to incorporate and apply this in diverse ministry settings.
- Appreciate best practices and industry trends around the use of mobile technology and other devices as tools
for developing, coordinating, and facilitating spiritual/pastoral care appropriate to diverse settings and ministry needs.
- Learn how the emerging field of virtual reality and telehealth is re-shaping how we think about ministry, and
how some of these virtual platforms can aid in self-reflection, ongoing faith development, spiritual growth and fostering ecclesial community
Educational Materials (recommended books, articles, or websites for participants to review prior to the workshop)
- Would Software Have Soothed Fr. Mulcahy? S. W. Donovan. Health Progress, 99(3), 41-45 https://www.chausa.org/docs/default-source/health-progress/would-software-have-soothed-fr-mulcahy.pdf?sfvrsn=0
- Spiritual Distress is not Confined by Walls. J. Cobb & C. Chang. Health Progress, 99(3), 55-57
- Resource-Packed Chapplain (Apps) Can Enrich Ministry. A. Duru. Vision, 23(5), 9-10
- iSpirit Helps Chaplains Reach Patients in New Ways. M. Davis. Vision, 23(5), 5-6
- E-Chaplaincy – Asking Some Questions. M. M. Atkinson. Journal of Pastoral Care & Counseling, 71(1), 69-71 https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1542305017694628
Presentation Materials (items to be brought to the workshop and/or presentation materials)
Hi Touch, Hi Tech, Or Vir Touch (PowerPoint presentation)