Social Justice and Chaplaincy
90 Minute Workshop
Sunday, June 2, 2019 (3:15 pm session)
Workshop Level: Intermediate
NACC Certification Competencies: PIC4, PIC5.1, PIC6, PPS3, PPS8, ITP3
Barbara Sheehan, SP, ACPE Certifed Educator
Executive Director/ACPE Educator, Urban CPE Consortium, Inc.
Oak Lawn, IL
This workshop will explore the intersectionality of social justice and chaplaincy. It identifies the dynamics of those whose primary crisis is social and reflects on the areas of spiritual assessment and effective responses by a chaplain/caring practitioner.
As a result of this workshop, participants will:
- Increase their awareness of chaplaincy beyond institutional healthcare facilities.
- Acquire helpful assessment tools in caring with those challenged with social crises.
- Enhance their practice of care of the whole person.
- Deepen the connection of actions and faith in the healing ministry of care for today’s needs
Educational Materials (recommended books, articles, or websites for participants to review prior to the workshop)
- Seek Justice That You May Live: Reflections and Resources on the Bible and Social Justice. John R. Donahue
- Ministry at the Margins. Anthony Gittins
- Care of Persons, Care of Worlds. Larry Kent Graham