Resourcing Best Practices in Pastoral Care: Overviews and Conversations for Formation Leaders
90 Minute Workshop
Sunday, June 2, 2019 (1:15 pm session)
Workshop Level: Intermediate
NACC Certification Competencies: PIC6, PPS2, OL3, OL4.1
Marc J. DelMonico, PhD
Director of Certification for Ecclesial Ministry, USCCB
Harry J. Dudley, DMin
Educational Consultant, Ambulans Vobiscum Consulting
New Castle, PA
Our workshop invites those involved in leadership for ministerial formation for pastoral care and other ecclesial
ministries, especially those new to those roles in dioceses, degree-granting ministry programs, or other organizations, to review and discuss well-sourced best practices in these fields. The workshop will include overviews of the collaborative Common Standards for Pastoral Care, competency-based intercultural and other formation resources available from the USCCB Office for Certification of Ecclesial Ministry and Service, and opportunities to feedback on these resources in light of participants’ experiences in ministry and formation.
As a result of this workshop, participants will:
- Gain a better understanding of the Common Pastoral Care Standards developed by NACC and collaborators.
- Learn about related best practice resources for, and certification of, diocesan and organizational ministry formation programs.
- Be able to share additional wisdom and perspectives on pastoral care and ministry formation best practices.
Educational Materials (recommended books, articles, or websites for participants to review prior to the workshop)
- The NACC Certification website: https://www.nacc.org/certification/ and the information about certification in links on that page.
- The Alliance for the Certification for Lay Ecclesial Ministers website, particularly the common certification (i.e. “National Standards”) for certification for specialized parish and diocesan roles, as comparable to the common pastoral care standards to be discussed in the workshop: http://lemcertification.org/standards.htm
- The USCCB website section discussing certification for ecclesial ministry and the work of the Subcommittee on Certification for Ecclesial Ministry and service: http://www.usccb.org/certification
- The 2005 USCCB document Co-Workers in the Vineyard of the Lord: A Resource for Guiding the Development of Lay Ecclesial Ministry, especially Part 2, Sections A & B. The full text is available online as a PDF at http://bit.ly/coworkers-vineyard (en español aquí: http://bit.ly/colaboradores-vina)
Presentation Materials (items to be brought to the workshop and/or presentation materials)
– None provided by the workshop presenter(s)
The NACC categorizes workshops on three levels: Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. The definitions of each level are provided below.
Beginner: Basic information on the topic for those with little background in the area.
Intermediate: Basic plus additional information on the topic for those with some background in the area.
Advanced: Specialized information on the topic for those with extensive experience and/or knowledge in the area.
Click here to go back to the main Workshop materials/handouts page