Online CPE: Peaks, Valleys & Other Various Terrains
90 Minute Workshop
Sunday, June 2, 2019 (1:15 pm session)
Workshop Level: Intermediate
NACC Certification Competencies: ITP1, PIC1, OL1, OL3
Jerry F. Kaelin, MA, MDiv, BCC, ACPE Certified Educator
CPE & Spiritual Care Manager, Loyola University Medical Center
Spiritual Care is all about relationship. CPE is all about enhancing those skills through an adult process learning model. ONLINE CPE not only radically expands the opportunities for acquiring the necessary units for certification or ongoing professionalization, it also connects students from a wide variety of contexts with the unexpected intimacy of facial close-ups and non-verbal communication. This workshop will actually provide an online experience for the gathered NACC workshop group as we explore its interpersonal and technological strengths, challenges and limitations. We will also consider opportunities for online Spiritual Care interactive continuing education beyond CPE — and beyond webinars and lectures.
As a result of this workshop, participants will:
- Experience a live online interactive simulation of multi-person CPE Group.
- Review strengths, challenges and limitations of online CPE.
- Explore other possibilities for interactive online Spiritual Care continuing education
Educational Materials (recommended books, articles, or websites for participants to review prior to the workshop)
- Clinical Pastoral Education: A Survival Kit. Brenda Perry Wallace
- How to Get the Most Out of Clinical Pastoral Education: A CPE Primer. Gordon Hilsman
- Adult Learning: Linking Theory & Practice. Sharon Merriam & Laura Bierema
Presentation Materials (items to be brought to the workshop and/or presentation materials)
– None provided by the workshop presenter(s)
The NACC categorizes workshops on three levels: Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. The definitions of each level are provided below.
Beginner: Basic information on the topic for those with little background in the area.
Intermediate: Basic plus additional information on the topic for those with some background in the area.
Advanced: Specialized information on the topic for those with extensive experience and/or knowledge in the area.
Click here to go back to the main Workshop materials/handouts page