Mindfulness: A Spiritual Lens for Chaplains & Mission Integration
90 Minute Workshops
Sunday, June 2, 2019 (8:45 am session)
Workshop Level: Beginner
NACC Certification Competencies: PIC2, PPS1, OL1
Kristie J. Zahn MBA, MA Religious Studies, BCC
Chaplain, Ascension Healthcare
Sarah E. Reddin, MA
Director of Ministry Formation and Mission Integration, Ascension Healthcare
Mindfulness as an important component of Workplace Spirituality is a growing interest in the Spiritual Care community. Is there a place for Mindfulness in the work of a chaplain, and can its practice alleviate spiritual distress in patients? How does Mindfulness enable Mission Integration to foster values of compassion and inclusiveness? In this workshop, we will explore how Mindfulness can be a spiritual lens for Chaplaincy and Mission Integration, with a review of best practices, case studies and practical suggestions on the practice of mindfulness in your work.
As a result of this workshop, participants will:
- Understand truth vs hype in the pop culture craze of Mindfulness.
- Learn how Mindfulness is used as a tool for Chaplains to alleviate Spiritual Distress.
- Discover if there is a role Mindfulness can play to foster Mission Integration in our workplace.
Educational Materials (recommended books, articles, or websites for participants to review prior to the workshop)
- Mindfulness and Christian Spirituality. Tim Stead
- Right Here Right Now. Amy Oden
Presentation Materials (items to be brought to the workshop and/or presentation materials)
– None provided by the workshop presenter(s)