Archdiocesan Detention Ministry Training Program and the Circle of Praxis
Saturday, June 1, 2019
Workshop Level: Intermediate
NACC Certification Competencies: ITP1, PIC1, PPS1, OL1
Deacon Edgardo Farias, PhD candidate in Practical Theology
Director, Detention Ministry Archdiocese of Miami
Miami Shores, FL
This workshop presents a curriculum design for volunteers training and describes some of the challenges that new volunteers face and suggests some strategies for meeting those challenges. It also summarizes the additional skills and knowledge that volunteers must acquire to fill their new role and presents alternatives for acquiring them. Participants are given the opportunity to discuss their concerns and learn how to lead Catholic services in jails, prisons or detention center.
As a result of this workshop, participants will:
- Improve the volunteer training offerings and its pastoral care activities and practices.
- Increase volunteer engagement from simply imagining ministry to embodying pastoral imagination.
- Understand the Circle of Praxis as a key for theological reflection on jail, prison and detention ministry.
Educational Materials (recommended books, articles, or websites for participants to review prior to the workshop)
- When We Visit Jesus in Prison: A Guide for Catholic Ministry. Dale S. Recinella
- Criminal Justice and the Catholic Church. Andrew Skotnicki
- Catholic Perspectives on Crime and Criminal Justice. Willard M. Oliver
- For Justice and Mercy: International Reflections on Prison Chaplaincy. Ryan Van Eijk, Gerard Loman, Theo De Wit
- www.detentionministry.org Detention Ministry of the Archdiocese of Miami