Conference 75-Minute Workshop SA5
Saturday, April 29, 2017 – 8:30 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
Workshop Level: All levels
Prudence R. Hopkins, MA, BCC-ACHPC
Participants will explore ways medical providers show they have difficulty with goals of care discussion. From a position of empathy for the providers as well as the patients, chaplains can help decode the veiled messages, providing a more open dialogue. Lecture followed by role playing prepared case studies and/or case studies from the audience will facilitate the learning.
As a result of this workshop, participants will:
- Articulate ways to help patients/families understand complicated provider information during goals of care discussions.
- Articulate goals of care as understood in the context of expectations and likely outcomes.
- Describe the patient/healthcare provider dynamic as affected by provider’s emotional discomfort to disclose information honestly.
Educational Materials (recommended books, articles, or websites for participants to review prior to the workshop)
– None required by the workshop presenter
Presentation Materials (items to be brought to the workshop and/or presentation materials)
– None provided by the workshop presenter