Renewal of Certification: General – Timelines, Extensions
How often will I need to renew my certification?
Certified Chaplains and Certified Educators are required to renew their certification every five years.
How will I know when my next renewal is due?
In December of the year before your renewal is due, the NACC national office will send you a letter by U.S. mail to alert you that your renewal year is the next year. The communication from the national office will also include information regarding renewal materials and review deadlines.
In April, August, and November of your renewal year, the NACC national office will send you reminders that your renewal is due. April and August reminders will be sent electronically (email) and November will be sent via U.S. mail.
What is the deadline for submitting my renewal materials?
The deadline for Renewal of Certification materials is December 31 of each year. Completed renewal materials may be submitted any time during the required renewal year.
Where do I send my completed materials?
Please send completed renewal materials to: NACC National Office, 4915 S Howell Avenue, Suite 501, Milwaukee WI 53207.
Do my renewal materials need to be in a 3-ring binder when submitting?
Please do not submit your materials in a binder. Please include all your materials in a large envelope and mail to the NACC national office.
When will my renewal of certification application and supportive materials be evaluated?
Renewal of certification applications are reviewed by the Certification Commission several times per year. For purposes of timely notification, please note the following schedule for review of 2021 applications and materials:
- Renewal of certification applications received before March 12, 2021, will be reviewed at the April 2021 meeting, with notification mailed out within 30 days of the Certification Commission action.
- Renewal of certification applications received before June 11, 2021, will be reviewed at the July 2021 meeting, with notification mailed out within 30 days of the Certification Commission action.
- Renewal of certification applications received before August 13, 2021, will be reviewed at the September 2021 meeting, with notification mailed out within 30 days of the Certification Commission action.
- Renewal of certification applications received before November 5, 2021, will be reviewed at the December 2021 meeting, with notification mailed out within 30 days of the Certification Commission action.
- Renewal of certification applications received after November 5, 2021, will be reviewed at the spring 2022 meeting, with notification mailed out within 30 days of the Certification Commission action.
For those chaplains requiring notification prior to December 31, 2021, it will be necessary to submit your application and materials in time to be reviewed at the December 2021 meeting.
Can I have an extension on the time needed for my renewal of certification?
Both chaplains and educators can be granted a one-year extension on their renewal of certification, up to two extensions. Note that an extension is given for one year only. If there is need for an additional year, then the person needs to make that request in writing in the designated time frame.
You must send a written request prior to the expiration date. Forward a brief letter requesting the extension, the reason the extension is needed, and the extension fee to the NACC National Office. Make the request to the attention of: Sean Doll O’Mahoney, Chair, Certification Commission.
To avoid a lapse in certification, chaplains/educators due to renew their certification in 2021 must submit the extension request by 12/31/2021. Failure to request an extension in writing in the appropriate time frame will mean loss of certification.
Note: The extension fee for the first extension is $100. The extension fee for the second extension is $200.
What must I do if I have let my certification lapse?
If you have let your certification lapse for any reason, you must reapply for certification, and another certification interview must occur. You must be a full member in good standing to request a certification application form and materials. If your certification has lapsed, please contact the NACC national office to discuss next steps.
What if I was certified under the old requirements and have only two units of CPE?
If your certification has lapsed and you wish to reapply for certification, the present qualifications and competencies for certification would apply. You must have four units of CPE and meet current theology requirements.
What credentials should I use after my name to indicate that I am an NACC-certified chaplain or NACC-certified Educator?
Certified NACC Chaplains with a specialized certification in Veterans Affairs should use ‘BCC-VA’ (Board Certified Chaplain-Veterans Affairs) to designate their credentials.