Renewal of Certification: Peer Review
Who can be a peer reviewer?
A Peer Reviewer must meet the following requirements:
- A current member of the NACC; cannot be an Inactive or Emeritus certified member
- An Active or Retired Certified Chaplain or Certified CPE Supervisor
- Cannot be someone with whom you share a reporting relationship (either report to or they report to you).
If you would like to verify that someone meets the requirements to be a peer reviewer please contact Jeanine Annunziato at the NACC National Office.
What materials should I send to my peer reviewer?
Prior to your peer review, send the following items to the reviewer:
- A copy of your completed education report forms
- A copy of the recommendations from your last peer review or your initial interview (if you have not renewed before)
- The peer review report form
Is a handwritten peer review report form acceptable?
As of January 1, 2012, the Certification Commission will not accept handwritten peer review report forms. The form must be electronically produced (computer or typewriter).
What information should be included in the “Process” section of the peer review report?
The Process section of the peer review report should:
- Indicate how peer reviewer became involved in chaplain’s peer review
- Timing/method of receipt of materials to review
- Indicate how interview began and progressed
- Indicate any concerns re: misunderstandings, tension, time/balance, congruence between materials and person
What information should be included in the “Content” section of the peer review report?
The Content section of the peer review report should address the following:
- Meaning and effectiveness of the continuing education and activities for the chaplain
- An update regarding the chaplain’s development in the Categories of Competency:
- Theory and Practice
- Professional Identity and Conduct
- Professional Practice Skills
- Organizational Leadership Skills
- Progress on recommendations made to the chaplain during the previous interview or peer review
- Discussion of the chaplain’s plans for future development
What information should be included in the “Recommendation” section of the peer review report?
Recommendation section should flow from the process and content of the peer review. Recommendations should relate to NACC Certification Standards and the chaplain’s plans for maintaining and enhancing competencies. Please include a minimum of two recommendations.