Components of the Application
1.PCHAC Application Form – Click HERE to download the form.
2. Progression Essay- 1-2 pages describing the following:
- Professional setting: A description of the palliative care or hospice program in which the Applicant works, including the programs’ disciplines, organizational structure, number of palliative care or hospice consults per month, and the Applicant’s role in the palliative care or hospice program.
- The Applicant’s passion for palliative care and hospice work written narratively. Narrative must include why the Applicant is seeking this advanced certification.
3. Major essay- 10-12 pages, incorporating all of the Palliative Care and Hospice Advanced Certification Competencies.
- The major essay has three (3) required components, which may be integrated into a single document or may be submitted as three separate documents, in either instance totaling no more than 10-12 pages for all three components. PLEASE NOTE: The applicant must demonstrate all 14 competencies and also demonstrate advance practice integration in this essay. Applicant must annotate throughout the essay where each competency is demonstrated.
- The following components must be included in the major essay:
- Theory and practice of chaplaincy care in palliative care and hospice ministry.
- Case presentation within the last year that is comprehensive in scope of care, addressing but not limited to:
- An evolving, comprehensive spiritual plan of care
- Progression of spiritual practice over the case
- Integration of chaplaincy care to enhance other hospice/palliative care disciplines in providing holistic service to patient/family
- Written demonstration of participation in a quality improvement process that enhances the delivery of chaplaincy care in hospice/palliative care.
4. Letters of Reference – Three (3) current letters of recommendation.
- One (1) letter from the Applicant’s palliative care and/or hospice supervisor (can include verification that clinical experience requirements have been met), and
- Two (2) letters from palliative care and/or hospice interdisciplinary care team members (limited to one (1) chaplain colleague who served with the Applicant).
- The letters must include the quality of the Applicant’s interaction with patients, families and team members as well as the Applicant’s team collaboration, leadership and educational contributions within a hospice and palliative care team. Each letter is to be submitted with the application to the NACC National Office.
- Each letter is to be signed and dated. Current is defined as within one (1) year of application for certification.
5. Submit your Materials – Email all the above documents in Word format to email@example.com.
Application Deadlines and Details
- July 15 for an interview the following Fall
- December 15 for an interview the following Winter
- Application Fee $425.00
- Email your completed application in Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advanced Certification Writing
Please view this presentation for helpful tips on preparing your application materials.
Advanced Certification Writing PowerPoint slides (Printable PDF of slides)
Advanced Certification Writing PowerPoint (PowerPoint slideshow file, same as video above but in PPT format – click to download)