If you meet the Prerequisites Required for Initial Certification, you may apply for the next upcoming deadline (See Initial Certification Application Timeline) or for any of our future application deadlines for which you may qualify.
STEP 1: Download the BCC Application Checklist
Click HERE to download the Initial Board Certification Application Checklist – This is a user-friendly document that outlines exactly the way application materials are to be organized and submitted to the NACC office. This is your step-by-step guide to assembling your Certification Application Materials.
STEP 2: Request Transcripts and Letters of Recommendation
Follow the instructions on the Checklist to request transcripts and letters of recommendation. All transcripts and letters should be sent directly to the NACC at firstname.lastname@example.org. Transcripts and letters of recommendation should be sent electronically.
If you are a lay person, you will need to request a current letter of recommendation from your pastor or a priest in active ministry. You may provide the following template to your priest:
- Click HERE to download a Pastor or Priest Letter of Recommendation template for priests anywhere but the Archdiocese of New York.
- Click HERE to download a Pastor or Priest Letter of Recommendation template for priests in the Archdiocese of New York.
STEP 3: Familiarize Yourself with the Qualifications and Competencies Required for Board Certification
Board Certification through the NACC requires applicants to demonstrate proficiency in Catholic theology and spiritual care praxis, and competence in the areas of Theory and Practice, Professional Identity and Conduct, Professional Practice Skills and Organizational Leadership. Certification is determined through written materials and an interview in which an Interview Team assesses the Applicant’s Competencies for certification.
Applicants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with Qualifications and Competencies prior to working on their written materials. Click HERE to access the Qualifications and Competencies – Chaplain Certification and Renewal of Certification (2022-2027).
STEP 4: Prepare Application Materials
Follow the instructions on the Checklist to prepare each of the documents listed below. Applicants must utilize the templates provided to complete their written materials. Once you have completed the materials below, you may submit them (along with the other required documents on the Checklist) to the NACC through the Certification Application Portal during the six-week application window. The Certification Application Portal is at the bottom of this webpage.
- Certification Application Form – The certification application form is provided to the applicant upon becoming a Full Member (Chaplaincy Member) of the NACC. If you are already a Chaplaincy Member, please contact NACC at email@example.com after January 1, 2024, to get the most recent application form.
- Autobiography – Click HERE to download the Autobiography template.
- Spiritual Care Encounter – Click HERE to download the Spiritual Care Encounter template.
- Narrative Statement I – This essay demonstrates how you meet the NACC-Specific Competencies. Click HERE to download the Narrative I Statement template.
- Narrative Statement II – This essay demonstrates how you meet the Common Competencies. Click HERE to download the Narrative II Statement template.
- Integrative Theological Essay – This essay demonstrates your understanding of the Catholic faith as outlined in Competency ITP1.1. Click HERE to download the Integrative Theological Essay template.
- ERD Post Test Certificate of Completion – To meet the requirements of NACC Competency ITP4.1, the Applicant must complete an eLearning module and pass an eight (8) question post-test. The Applicant will receive a Certification of Completion upon successfully passing the test with a score of 86% or higher. This certificate of Completion must be submitted with the application materials. Click HERE to access to the e-learning module and post-test.
- Gather other materials required for submission – The Checklist outlines the complete list of materials to be submitted through the online portal. Please refer to this list.
Certification Application Portal
The Certification Application Portal is open for a six-week window preceding each application deadline as follows:
- February 15th Deadline – Portal is open from January 4 to February 15
- September 15th Deadline – Portal is open from August 4 to September 15
All documents must be in PDF format to be uploaded into the portal. Please see the Checklist for instructions on how to convert documents PDF.
What happens after you submit your application?
- The NACC will email you an invoice for the certification application fee one day following the submission deadline (February 16th or September 16th).
- The NACC will review them to ensure that all submission requirements have been met. The NACC will contact you if anything is missing or corrections need to be made.
- If your application materials have been reviewed and approved, you will be scheduled for an interview. The NACC will notify you as soon as your interview time is established.
- If your application materials have been approved, the NACC will request an ecclesiastical endorsement on your behalf.
- The NACC will host a webinar for applicants approximately one month before the interview to help them prepare for the interview.
Please note: Applicants are required to abide by the Safe Environments polices of their diocese of ministry. Each diocese does its own check to ensure that the Applicant has had a background check and has taken the required Safe Environments training prior to endorsing the Applicant for certification. Please be sure you are in compliance with your diocese’s Safe Environment policies. If you are unsure what they are, please contact your bishop’s office.
For any questions regarding prerequisites for Board Certification please contact the NACC at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (414) 483-4898 x304.