If you meet the Prerequisites Required for Initial Certification, you may apply for the next upcoming deadline (See Initial Certification Application Timeline) or for any of our future application deadlines for which you may qualify. Please note that the NACC only accepts applications in the six weeks or so prior to the application deadline. For the February deadline, we will be accepting applications from January 1-February 15. For the September deadline, we accept applications from August 1-September 15.
Certification Applicants should be Full (Chaplaincy Ministry) Members of the NACC in good standing and be up-to-date on their annual membership fees.
Two ways to apply
Apply online: Use the Submission form for Certification materials.
Postal mail option: If you need to send a binder to the NACC office, we advise you to use USPS for delivery as we receive frequent mail; however, whichever method you use, please email Lisa at [email protected] with the tracking number.
Necessary Materials for Initial Certification Application Submission
All of the following documents are necessary for applying for Initial Certification. Be sure to download and print each document. Questions? Please email Lisa Sarenac at [email protected].
- Checklist for Supportive Materials Required for a Certification Interview – This is a user-friendly document corresponding to the formal Certification Procedures Manual. It outlines exactly the way application materials are to be organized and submitted to the NACC office. This is your step-by-step guide to assembling your Certification Application Materials.
- Spiritual Care Encounter Cover Sheet – This is an instructional cover sheet to be included with your Spiritual Care Encounter in Tab 3 of your Certification Application Materials.
- Narrative Statement I Writing Guide NACC-Specific Competencies – This writing guide will assist you in writing your Narrative Statement I for NACC-Specific Competencies.
- Narrative Statement I NACC-Specific Competencies Template– This template will assist you in formatting your Narrative I Statement for NACC-Specific Competencies.
- Narrative Statement II Writing Guide for the Common Competencies. This writing guide will assist you in writing your Narrative Statement II for Common Competencies.
- Narrative Statement II Common Competencies Template– This template will assist you in formatting your Narrative II Statement for Common Competencies.
- Integrative Theological Essay Instructions-This document instructs you on the requirements for the composition of the Integrative Theological Essay.
- NACC Required E-Learning Module and Post-Test Instructions-This document gives instructions on how to access the e-learning module and post-test for ITP4.1.
- Code of Ethics for Spiritual Care Professionals – This document is reviewed before signing and dating the Ethics Accountability Statement. Please note that these are not the same as the Ethical and Religious Directives (ERDs).
- Ethics Accountability Statement for Initial Certification – this document is signed and dated after reading the Code of Ethics for Spiritual Care Professionals and included in your Application Materials in Tab 15.
- Pastor or Priest Letter of Recommendation TEMPLATE-Please have your pastor/priest use this template for their letter of recommendation if you are located anywhere but New York.
- NEW YORK Pastor or Priest Letter of Recommendation TEMPLATE-Please have your pastor priest use this template for your letter of recommendation if you are located in New York only.
- A resource that may assist you in addressing the research Competency – Please review the recorded webinar by LaVera Crawley, How to Speed Read a Research Article: A Beginner’s Guide to Research Literacy here: https://youtu.be/w-Yio7u-67w.
- NACC Certification Procedures Manual – Part One, Chaplain Certification (Revised Dec. 2020)
- Qualifications and Competencies – A complete document of the Qualifications and Competencies for Certification.
- Initial Certification Interviews for 2022 will be done virtually. However, should you have a documented disability that is compliant with the American Disabilities Act that would make it difficult for you to perform a virtual interview, please contact the Administrative Specialist at [email protected] for further information.
- Technical requirements for a virtual interview using Zoom
If you are considering requesting a virtual interview you will need to review the instructions and requirements at the two links below. If you have any questions or concerns contact Lisa Sarenac at [email protected] or (414) 483-4898, ext. 304.
Online Certification Application Form
If you have any questions/concerns, you are strongly encouraged to contact the Administrative Specialist, Certification, Lisa Sarenac at (414) 483-4898, ext. 304 or email to: [email protected].