Applying for Initial Certification
If you meet the Prerequisites Required for Initial Certification, you may apply for the next upcoming deadline (See Initial Certification Application Timeline) or for any of our future application deadlines for which you may qualify. Please note that the NACC only accepts applications in the six weeks or so prior to the application deadline. For the February deadline, we will be accepting applications from January 1-February 15. For the September deadline, we accept applications from August 1-September 15.
If you are not yet an NACC full member, you will need to submit your Membership Application and pay your membership dues before you are eligible to request the Initial Certification Application form which is to be included in Tab 01 of your Application Binder. To begin your membership process, please visit the Apply for Membership page.
Necessary Materials for Initial Certification Application Submission
All of the following documents are necessary for applying for Initial Certification. Be sure to download and print each document.
Certification Application will only be provided to those that are Full Members of the NACC in good standing and are up-to-date on their annual membership fees.
- Checklist for Supportive Materials Required for a Certification Interview – This is a user-friendly document corresponding to the formal Certification Procedures Manual. It outlines exactly the way application materials are to be organized and submitted to the NACC office. This is your step-by-step guide to assembling your Certification Application Binder.
- Spiritual Care Encounter Cover Sheet – This is an instructional cover sheet to be included with your Spiritual Care Encounter in Tab 3 of your Certification Application Binder.
- Narrative Statement I Writing Guide NACC-Specific Competencies – This writing guide will assist you in writing your Narrative Statement I for NACC-Specific Competencies.
- Narrative Statement I NACC-Specific Competencies Template– This template will assist you in formatting your Narrative I Statement for NACC-Specific Competencies.
- Narrative Statement II Writing Guide Common Competencies -This writing guide will assist you in writing your Narrative Statement II for the Common Competencies.
- Narrative Statement II Common Competencies Template– This template will assist you in formatting your Narrative II Statement for Common Competencies.
- Integrative Theological Essay Instructions-This document instructs you on the requirements for the composition of the Integrative Theological Essay.
- NACC Required E-Learning Module and Post-Test Instructions-This document gives instructions on how to access the e-learning module and post-test for ITP4.1.
- Code of Ethics for Spiritual Care Professionals – This document is reviewed before signing and dating the Ethics Accountability Statement. Please note that these are not the same as the Ethical and Religious Directives (ERDs).
- Ethics Accountability Statement for Initial Certification – this document is signed and dated after reading the Code of Ethics for Spiritual Care Professionals and included in your Application Binder in Tab 15.
- NACC Certification Procedures Manual – Part One, Chaplain Certification
- Qualifications and Competencies – A complete document of the Qualifications and Competencies for Certification.
If you have any questions/concerns, you are strongly encouraged to contact the Administrative Specialist, Certification, Ramona Zeb at (414) 483-4898 or firstname.lastname@example.org.