Current job opportunities for chaplains, priests, CPE residents, supervisors, directors of pastoral care, managers, mission directors, and more
Due to the NACC National Conference we will not be posting job ads during the week of April 24 – April 28. Feel free to email ads to Phil at firstname.lastname@example.org in the meantime. Regular posting will resume on Tuesday May 2. If you have questions please contact Phil at email@example.com.
Submit a position – Click here to post an employment ad
Ad rates and instructions – Click here to get more info including advertising rates
Hire an NACC member! Click here to see the Position Wanted ads
Scroll down for more ads!
Baltimore, Maryland“IN THE CARE OF THE SICK, GREAT TENDERNESS ABOVE ALL THINGS”
-Catherine McAuley, Sisters of Mercy
Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore seeks a full-time professional chaplain who will support the mission of the institution by providing high quality spiritual care to patients, families, and staff.
– Posted April 21, 2017
- Master’s degree in theology, divinity, religious studies, pastoral ministry, or spirituality from an accredited college/university/theological school required
- Certification by NACC, APC, CAPPE/ACPEP or NAJC required (or attainable within 1 year)
- Four units of Clinical Pastoral Education are required
- One (1) year healthcare ministry experience required
- Availability for periodic on-call coverage, including, weekends and evenings as required
DIRECTOR of PASTORAL CARE
Fraser, Michigan – Fraser Villa a skilled nursing and rehabilitation community in Fraser, Michigan is seeking a Director of Pastoral Care. Our 176 bed community offers assisted living, licensed skilled post-acute nursing and rehabilitation, long-term care, memory care in a holistic environment.
The person in this position is responsible for the day-to-day leadership and oversight of the Pastoral Care Department. The Director develops and manages services designed to meet the religious and/or spiritual needs of residents and their families as well as facility team members. The Director of Pastoral Care and Mission serves as a member of the management team and as an internal consultant to the ethics committee. This position supports the mission and core values of Fraser Villa by serving as an ambassador and collaborates with the senior leadership team in determining priorities for spiritual grounding and Catholic healthcare ethics.
The Director plans and leads various religious services, events, studies and observances within the Fraser Villa community on a regular basis. Ability to function within a faith based organization and ensure the spiritual needs of all residents are actively cared for and fostered.
For immediate consideration please apply on line at www.trinity-health.org– Posted April 21, 2017
CHAPLAIN I – PRIEST
Evanston, IL – Presence Health is the largest Catholic health system based in Illinois. We seek a Chaplain I – Priest, to provide effective spiritual care to patients/residents and families, assessing spiritual/religious needs and resources and assuring that sacramental and ritual needs are met; initiates contact with local clergy as needed; actively collaborates with the interdisciplinary care team; provides spiritual care to staff and contributes to the spiritual well-being of the local ministry; provides timely and effective care to patients/residents approaching the end of life; assumes responsibility for on-going professional development; and adheres to ethical standards set forth by the chaplaincy profession and the Catholic Church. Must have a bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred in theology or religious studies. At least two units of accredited Clinical Pastoral Education required. Under certain circumstances, the requirement for a Catholic Priest candidate may be adjusted to ensure sacramental coverage. We offer the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of patients through high-quality, holistic care delivered within an environment that is guided by a strong sense of purpose.
Learn more and apply now at jobs.presencehealth.org, Req. 31416. Equal Opportunity Employer– Posted April 13, 2017
CATHOLIC PRIEST CHAPLAIN
St. Mary’s Medical Center, Blue Springs, MO and St. Joseph’s Medical Center Kansas City, MO – Two Prime Healthcare campuses seek a Catholic Priest chaplain for 40 hour week full-time chaplain ministry.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recognizes, evaluates, and responds appropriately in crisis situations involving patients and family members experiencing trauma, grief, or loss of a loved one in following up referrals made to Spiritual Care.
- Completes and documents initial assessment and follow-up assessment of a patient’s spiritual care needs.
- Collaborates with other staff chaplains and professional disciplines to plan, implement, evaluate and revise plan of care for patients.
- Facilitates ethical decision making for patients in end of life stages.
- Notarizes Advance Directive and Durable Power of Attorney in response to patient requests.
- Provides stand-by and on-call coverage.
- Provides invocations, benedictions, and blessings at assigned hospital functions.
- Provides sacraments to Catholic patients
- Master of Divinity or Master of Arts Degree related to Theology preferred.
- Four units of Clinical Pastoral Education.
- In the process of being Board Certified with the National Association of Catholic Chaplains is required. Certification with the Association of Pastoral Chaplains must be approved by the local Ordinary.
- Three years of experience in hospital chaplain ministry preferred.
- Commissioned Notary of Public within six months of hire.
- Faculties granted by the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph
Apply on line at stjosephkc.com or fax resume to 816-943-2009 or call 816-943-2295– Posted April 6, 2017
CHAPLAINS – PA & NJ
Careers that reflect your passion. Your future’s calling.
Holy Redeemer Health System’s holistic approach to healing is unique among healthcare providers. Caring for the total person goes beyond the act of delivering excellent medical care. It involves meeting the emotional, spiritual and social services needs of those we serve. If you’re compassionate and dedicated, you’ve come to the right place. Find out for yourself how Holy Redeemer creates experiences that are unique, personalized and truly memorable by adding your own chapter to our story.
We are currently seeking Chaplains in Philadelphia, and in Runnemede, Toms River, Egg Harbor Township, and Mercer County New Jersey. These positions are responsible for providing pastoral, sacramental and liturgical ministry to patients, residents, staff, families and other members of the Holy Redeemer community to meet their spiritual and emotional needs.
Chaplain II (Philadelphia, PA) — Full Time & Per Diem
Hospice Chaplain I (Egg Harbor Township, NJ)– Full-Time & Per Diem
Hospice Chaplain I (Toms River, NJ)– Full-Time
Hospice Chaplain I (Runnemede, NJ)– Per Diem
Chaplain (Mercer County, NJ)—Per Diem
To learn more about our caring community, our careers, and to apply, visit www.holyredeemer.com/careers
Holy Redeemer Health System with an acute care hospital, home health and hospice services, skilled nursing facilities, personal care, a retirement community, low-income housing, an active living community, and a transitional housing program for homeless women and children, is one of the Philadelphia area’s leading health care organizations. Holy Redeemer is an Equal Opportunity Employer.– Posted April 6, 2017
DIRECTOR of PASTORAL CARE
Bon Secours Health System – BaltimoreWork with a system that brings compassion to health care
Bon Secours Health System is seeking a Director of Pastoral Care to join its team in Baltimore, MD. The Director is responsible for managing the Pastoral Care department at Bon Secours Baltimore Hospital. This person oversees and ensures the provision of pastoral care to patients, their loved ones, and the healthcare staff. The Director communicates and acts as a liaison with the religious communities throughout the area, and is part of the onsite managerial team.
Master’s Degree in Divinity, Theology, Spirituality, Ethics, or related field of Ministry required. Candidates must have a broad understanding of the Catholic tradition, the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care, Catholic Social Teachings, and be knowledgeable and understanding of other faiths and traditions. A minimum of 2 years’ clinical pastoral care experience in a health care setting, management experience and certification by an appropriate clinical pastoral agency (preferably NACC) is required.– Posted April 6, 2017
FT PRIEST CHAPLAIN
Paterson, NJ – Chaplain provides sacramental, liturgical and pastoral ministry to patients, families and hospital staff. Work requires theoretical knowledge, principles and concepts acquired through completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Theology, Pastoral Care, Pastoral Counseling or related field. CPE units and prior experience preferred. Must be a Roman Catholic priest in good standing. Position requires 24/7 on call coverage including weekends. Spanish speaking preferred.
Must have legal authorization to work in the US.
Mail resume to Deacon Lawrence Duffy, Director, Mission Services, St. Joseph’s Healthcare System, 703 Main St., Paterson, NJ 07503, by fax at 973-754-3286 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.– Posted April 3, 2017
Provides direct pastoral care to MCH patients and families of diverse religious affiliations/faith traditions in accordance with established procedures. The Available to MCH team members in order to provide overall spiritual guidance. Works under the direct supervision of the Senior Chaplain.
Minimum Job Requirements
- 2 years of pastoral care experience in a hospital/healthcare setting.
- 4 units of CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) from a center accredited by the ACPE (Association of Clinical Pastoral Education).
- Masters of Divinity or a Graduate (Masters) level degree in religious studies from an accredited University.
- Ordination by a recognized religious body and endorsement by the proper ecclesiastical authority.
- Requirements for the Roman Catholic Priest and Jewish Rabbi will not include the completion of the 4 units of CPE nor the board certification by APC, as the RC priest will have completed equivalent training and certifications per the RC Church and the Archdiocese of Miami and a Jewish Rabbi will have completed rabbinical training and certification.
- Level II finger printing background required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Administers religious rites, sacraments and celebrations in accordance to the faith traditions of patients and families.
- Assists patients and families spiritually with death and dying themes; responds to patient deaths and provides crisis intervention as well as bereavement support; conducts memorial services as requested.
- Assists the Senior Chaplain in the planning and conducting of worship and prayer services within the hospital on major religious holidays and other observances throughout the year; assists the Senior Chaplain with the supervision and training needs of interns or seminarians.
- Collaborates and communicates with members of the MCH team and departmental disciplines in identifying and resolving patient/family issues; coordinates patient’s treatment approach closely with social workers and patient/family representatives; consults with team members regarding religious issues and the specific spiritual needs of patients/families; assists team members with their religious concerns; makes referrals.
- Documents all care visits, interventions, sacraments performed, and referrals; maintains a confidential log of monthly patient/family/team member contacts, as well as on-call activity; maintains records of hours worked for payroll purposes and makes them available to the Senior Chaplain.
- Responds to emergency requests for pastoral services when assigned in-house or on-call duties.
- Serves as a liaison with community and visiting clergy; arranges the provision of pastoral services by the patient’s or family’s spiritual leader; initiates referrals to other MCH chaplains.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to communicate promptly, clearly and courteously with all hospital team members and customers.v
- Basic knowledge in use of computers and printers, and/or ability to learn appropriate software applications to enter and access patient/family data.
- Develops and maintains knowledge/skills through participation in professional organizations, conferences, and other continuing education programs.
- Fluency in English; Spanish – Preferred.
- Incorporates supervisory feedback into practice, and follows the proper hierarchical steps to discuss proposed changes and concerns.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient/family information.
- Must be able to relate cooperatively and constructively with patients, families and co-workers.
- Requires the ability to evaluate the patient’s response to the implementation of the plan.
- Requires the ability to interpret, adapt and react calmly under stressful conditions.
- Requires the ability to problem solve in order to formulate a plan for spiritual assistance.
Applicants can apply online, position number: 12228– Posted April 3, 2017
SPIRITUAL CARE MINISTERS
Green Bay, WI – St Vincent Hospital in Green Bay, WI is looking for a Spiritual Care Minister for 16 hours, 28 hours, 32 hours and 40 hours!
Assists the patient and her/his family in coping with the psychological, social, emotional and spiritual needs in time of illness and/or stress. Provides an atmosphere of concern and recognition of the dignity of the human person in the light of the gospel of Christ. Helps preserve a patient-centered attitude of care. Gives the patient an opportunity to verbalize feelings regarding his/her illness, assesses needs and documents interventions. Promotes a team approach with other disciplines.
May be a member of a religious order or a lay person with education in the care of the sick and dying. Other health related experience is acceptable. Must have a friendly, empathetic personality with some experience in theology and pastoral ministry.
Two units of Clinical Pastoral Education are required within two years of hire.
Certifications, Licenses and Registrations
Board Certification by the NACC (National Association of Catholic Chaplains), APC, or NAJC) required or working toward certification.
Please apply at www.hshscareers.jobs– Posted March 30, 2017
PRESENCE HEALTH, Presence Resurrection Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Park Ridge, IL – Chaplain provides effective spiritual care to patients/residents and families, assessing spiritual/religious needs and resources and assuring that sacramental and ritual needs are met; initiates contact with local clergy as needed; actively collaborates with the interdisciplinary care team; provides spiritual care to staff and contributes to the spiritual well-being of the local ministry; provides timely and effective care to patients/residents approaching the end of life; assumes responsibility for on-going professional development; and adheres to ethical standards set forth by the chaplaincy profession and the Catholic Church.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Advanced interpersonal skills necessary to conduct formal presentations and to communicate effectively with patients,
residents, families, physicians, and employees often during times of crisis.
Emotional maturity with an ability to cope with crisis situations and to respond appropriately is necessary. Good interpersonal and communication skills are required.
Must be in good standing with faith community and endorsed by an appropriate denominational authority to function in health care ministry.
Education and/or Experience
Required: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
At least 2 units of accredited Clinical Pastoral Education.
Basic computer skills.
Preferred: 4 units accredited CPE
Master’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college, university, seminary or divinity
school in theology, divinity, religious studies, pastoral ministry, pastoral studies or spirituality.
One year of previous experience in hospital or health care setting.
Board Certified Chaplain
APPLY ON-LINE at www.presencehealth.org/careers– Posted March 30, 2017
DIRECTOR of PASTORAL CARE and MISSION
Waterville, Maine – Mount Saint Joseph Residence and Rehabilitation in Waterville is seeking a Director of Pastoral Care and Mission. Our 138 bed facility offers assisted living, licensed skilled post-acute nursing and rehabilitation, long-term care, memory care and behavioral health in a holistic environment.
Mount Saint Joseph is a holistic care community founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Lyons and sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy of West Hartford that provides a competitive compensation and benefit package that complements this opportunity for personal growth and professional advancement. Mount Saint Joseph is a Trinity Health Senior Community.
The person in this position is responsible for the day-to-day leadership and oversight of the Pastoral Care Department. The Director develops and manages services designed to meet the religious and/or spiritual needs of residents and their families as well as facility team members. Supervises a team of chaplains both staff and volunteer in meeting the purpose and goals of the department. The Director of Pastoral Care and Mission serves as a member of the senior management team and as an internal consultant to the ethics committee. This position supports the mission and core values of Mount Saint Joseph by serving as an ambassador and collaborates with the senior leadership team in determining priorities for spiritual grounding and Catholic healthcare ethics.
Additional responsibilities include ensuring that the mission and values of Mount Saint Joseph are present in all aspects of daily work. Position involves a high level of collaborating with the direct care workers and all ancillary departments. Must be able to build consensus and foster collaboration among workgroups.
The Director plans and leads various religious services, events, studies and observances within the Mount Saint Joseph community on a regular basis. Ability to function within a faith based organization and ensure the spiritual needs for Catholic, Protestant and Jewish residents are actively cared for and fostered.
For immediate consideration please submit a current resume and cover letter to email@example.com– Posted March 30, 2017
CATHOLIC PRIEST (Full-Time)
Barnes Jewish Hospital, Saint Louis, MO
Role Purpose:Provides Spiritual Care Services for patients, families and staff and is a resource to Catholic patients, families and staff regarding sacramental ministries. Celebrates Mass as scheduled. Assists with coordinating the Volunteer Eucharistic Ministers. Assists with coordinating Contractual Priest services as needed.
Responsibilities:Provides sacramental and supportive ministries for Roman Catholic patients, their families, hospital staff and physicians.
Coordinates and provides spiritual care services for Roman Catholics.
Provides regular and Holy Day Mass and other worship opportunities for Roman Catholic patients, their families, hospital staff and physicians as scheduled in conjunction with the department.
Identifies spiritual dynamics specific to patients, families and staff who are facing the health challenges.
▪ Master’s Degree- Theology/related
▪ <2 years
▪ No Experience
Licenses & Certifications
▪ 4 Units ACPE CPE or equivalent
▪ Special Ministry Endorsement
▪ Roman Catholic Priest
Apply For BJC Catholic Priest – Barnes Jewish Hospital (Full-Time) job – Support Services – Saint Louis, MO http://bit.ly/2nhwzfF– Posted March 30, 2017
DIRECTOR of SPIRITUAL SERVICES – Full Time
Glendale, WI – Ascension provides compassionate, personalized care for all, including those who are struggling. And we’re improving collaboration across healthcare in Wisconsin. We’re looking for talented associates to join us as we continue advancing healthcare across Wisconsin. We serve millions of people across the state with 24 hospitals and hundreds of sites of care. Ascension Wisconsin includes hospitals, clinics and doctors’ offices from Affinity Health System, Columbia St. Mary’s, Ministry Health Care, and Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare.
Leads the development and implementation of a continuum of spiritual care services for patients, families and associates.
- Aligns services and programs to the organizations mission, goals and strategic initiatives, as well as the needs of those served and with the standards of practice for the profession of spiritual care.
- Directs all activities related to staffing, including hiring, training, mentoring, evaluating, volunteer recruitment, and providing opportunities for continuing education and development.
- Plans, directs and collaborates with others in providing spiritual and emotional support, religious resources, sacramental services, and worship experiences for individuals and groups, as well as education on addressing diverse spiritual/religious/cultural needs, and assistance with biomedical ethical decision-making.
- Promotes spiritual care that is in line with the Ethical and Religious Directives.
- Responsible for the annual budget. Closely monitors all program financial operations.
- Maintains complete, current, and relevant policies and procedures in accordance with organization and departmental objectives, scope of service, and regulatory agency requirements
- May perform similar duties as staff.
- Required Credential(s):
- Certified Chaplain credentialed from the National Association of Catholic Chaplains (NACC), the College of Chaplains, the Association of Clinical Pastoral Educators (ACPE) OR the Association of Professional Chaplains (APC) obtained prior to the hire date or job transfer date.
- Master’s Level Degree
- Master’s Degree in Spirituality or Theology and Ecclesial endorsement required. Master’s Degree or certification in Bioethics preferred
- Minimum one (1) year of management experience required. Experience directly applicable to the area managed required.
Please contact Carolyn Arts at Carolyn.firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 870-9896 for additional information.– Posted March 23, 2017
CHAPLAIN – Part time
Elk Grove Village, IL
At AMITA, our Chaplains provide pastoral ministry to patients, their family members/significant others, and staff of all religious faith traditions through the ministry site’s Spiritual Care Services office. We are looking for individuals with the ability to help patients reflect on their lived experiences from a theological or faith perspective and deliver support that is both personalized and focused.
Education, Experience and Professional licensure
- Bachelor’s Degree in Theology or Religious Studies is required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Successful completion of four units of Clinical Pastoral Education accredited through the NACC or ACPE.
- Two years’ experience in pastoral care, the health care field, in an area that is parish-based or mission-related, involved with community activism or its equivalent.
- Has established a working relationship with a certifying national body or association that maintains professional standards, or has certification through APC, CASC, NACC or NAJC.
Conditions of Employment
Appropriate ecclesiastical/denominational approval, if ordained or vowed religious. Successfully pass the National Catholic Bioethics Center’s online ethics course mandated by the Archdiocese of Chicago. Must become board certified in chaplaincy through the APC, CASC, NACC or NAJC within 24 months of hire.– Posted March 16, 2017
CHAPLAIN – Full Time – Day Shifts (4 days, 10 hours)
Reno, Nevada – St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center – The staff Chaplain represents a caring presence to any patient, family or staff member in need, regardless of spiritual, ecclesiastical or denominational tradition. The Chaplain makes a spiritual assessment of the patient and charts in the patients chart in the interdisciplinary spiritual assessment assessment section. The Chaplain Priest will celebrate Mass and offer the Sacraments to Catholic patients.
- One-year chaplain experience in multidisciplinary health care setting preferred
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum four units of clinical pastoral education (CPE) or CPE units in progress
- Must be a Roman Catholic Priest, endorsed by the Ordinary of the Diocese of Reno, and when applicable by his religious order supervisor
- Certification desirable
- Completion or continuing education including courses in counseling, psychology and theology preferred
- Present and continuing endorsement by an ecclesiastical body recognized by St. Mary’s
- Requires an ecumenical perspective and the ability to work well with people of all faiths
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
SMRMC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status, disability, race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or other protected characteristics. Since the sale of SMRMC to Prime Healthcare, we are no longer a Catholic institution. However, we remain committed to serving the Catholic community by offering Catholic Mass, Sacraments, and visitation by our trained Catholic volunteers and full-time Chaplain Priest. If you need special accommodation for the application process, please contact Human Resources: email@example.com. For further information: https://www.smarthires.com/jobopenings/SAINT-MARY%27S-REGIONAL-MEDICAL-CENTER.htm or call Dr. Jami-Sue Coleman at 775-770-3000.– Posted March 10, 2017
CHAPLAIN – Full Time or On Call
Milwaukee & Racine, WI
Ascension Healthcare has immediate opportunities for a Full-Time & On-Call Chaplains
- One Full time Women and Infant Chaplain
- One Full time Hospital Chaplain
- Multiple On-Call Pool Chaplains
Chaplains facilitate spiritual well-being by assisting patients, families, associates and the wider community to cope and identify sources of meaning and hope in their experience of life transitions, inclusive of suffering, loss and grief. Chaplains support patients in drawing upon their values and beliefs in the context of their life story, especially during times of health crisis. Chaplains do this by providing individual and family spiritual assessment and associate support; advocacy for patient well-being; prayer, worship services, rituals, and sacraments; through facilitating support groups and family meetings/care conferences; by serving as a liaison to community clergy and resources; facilitating clinical ethical decisions; and actively participating as an integral member of the clinical care team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBLITIES
- Provide effective spiritual care as part of an interdisciplinary team that contributes to the well-being of patients, families, and associates.
- Document a spiritual assessment, intervention and plan of care in the electronic health record.
- Advocate for patients and families and create/facilitate rituals for individuals/groups and organizational needs.
- Collaborate with area clergy to honor the requests of patients and families.
- Participates in on-call rotation with team in order to provide spiritual care patients, families, and associate 24 hours/day, 365 days/year.
- Utilizes supervision, consultation, and peer review to evaluate professional growth and to improve professional performance.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
Full Time Staff Role: Board Certified or eligible. Master’s Degree in theology, pastoral studies, divinity or related field from an accredited college or university. Minimum of four units of Clinical Pastoral Education.
- Ecclesial Endorsement
- Valid Driver’s License
- Proof of Automotive Insurance
On Call Role: Master’s Degree in theology, pastoral studies, divinity or related field from an accredited college or university. Minimum of one unit of Clinical Pastoral Education. Experience in health care setting.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Establish and maintain professional relationships.
- Strong communication skills with an ability to actively listen and respond utilizing immediacy skills.
- Strong spiritual assessment capabilities. Ability to articulate a pastoral theology that is both contemporary and functional.
- Integration of an identity that respects all faith traditions. Sensitivity to cultural, religious and ethnic diversity.
- Ability to articulate medical/ethical issues.
- Computer literacy with working knowledge of technology and social media.
Accountability to the organization’s professional standards, ethics, goals, and expectations.
Please contact Carolyn Arts at Carolyn.firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 870-9896 for additional information.
The NACC does not offer job placement services.
Please contact employers directly—do not send resumes to the NACC