Current job opportunities for chaplains, priests, CPE residents, supervisors, directors of pastoral care, managers, mission directors, and more
Submit a position – Click here to post an employment ad
Ad rates and instructions – Click here to get more info including advertising rates
Hire an NACC member! Click here to see the Position Wanted ads
Scroll down for more ads!
DIRECTOR of SPIRITUAL SERVICES – Full Time
Glendale, WI – Ascension provides compassionate, personalized care for all, including those who are struggling. And we’re improving collaboration across healthcare in Wisconsin. We’re looking for talented associates to join us as we continue advancing healthcare across Wisconsin. We serve millions of people across the state with 24 hospitals and hundreds of sites of care. Ascension Wisconsin includes hospitals, clinics and doctors’ offices from Affinity Health System, Columbia St. Mary’s, Ministry Health Care, and Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare.
Leads the development and implementation of a continuum of spiritual care services for patients, families and associates.
- Aligns services and programs to the organizations mission, goals and strategic initiatives, as well as the needs of those served and with the standards of practice for the profession of spiritual care.
- Directs all activities related to staffing, including hiring, training, mentoring, evaluating, volunteer recruitment, and providing opportunities for continuing education and development.
- Plans, directs and collaborates with others in providing spiritual and emotional support, religious resources, sacramental services, and worship experiences for individuals and groups, as well as education on addressing diverse spiritual/religious/cultural needs, and assistance with biomedical ethical decision-making.
- Promotes spiritual care that is in line with the Ethical and Religious Directives.
- Responsible for the annual budget. Closely monitors all program financial operations.
- Maintains complete, current, and relevant policies and procedures in accordance with organization and departmental objectives, scope of service, and regulatory agency requirements
- May perform similar duties as staff.
- Required Credential(s):
- Certified Chaplain credentialed from the National Association of Catholic Chaplains (NACC), the College of Chaplains, the Association of Clinical Pastoral Educators (ACPE) OR the Association of Professional Chaplains (APC) obtained prior to the hire date or job transfer date.
- Master’s Level Degree
- Master’s Degree in Spirituality or Theology and Ecclesial endorsement required. Master’s Degree or certification in Bioethics preferred
- Minimum one (1) year of management experience required. Experience directly applicable to the area managed required.
Please contact Carolyn Arts at Carolyn.firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 870-9896 for additional information.– Posted March 23, 2017
CHAPLAIN – Part time
Elk Grove Village, IL
At AMITA, our Chaplains provide pastoral ministry to patients, their family members/significant others, and staff of all religious faith traditions through the ministry site’s Spiritual Care Services office. We are looking for individuals with the ability to help patients reflect on their lived experiences from a theological or faith perspective and deliver support that is both personalized and focused.
Education, Experience and Professional licensure
- Bachelor’s Degree in Theology or Religious Studies is required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Successful completion of four units of Clinical Pastoral Education accredited through the NACC or ACPE.
- Two years’ experience in pastoral care, the health care field, in an area that is parish-based or mission-related, involved with community activism or its equivalent.
- Has established a working relationship with a certifying national body or association that maintains professional standards, or has certification through APC, CASC, NACC or NAJC.
Conditions of Employment
Appropriate ecclesiastical/denominational approval, if ordained or vowed religious. Successfully pass the National Catholic Bioethics Center’s online ethics course mandated by the Archdiocese of Chicago. Must become board certified in chaplaincy through the APC, CASC, NACC or NAJC within 24 months of hire.– Posted March 16, 2017
CHAPLAIN – Full Time – Day Shifts (4 days, 10 hours)
Reno, Nevada – St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center – The staff Chaplain represents a caring presence to any patient, family or staff member in need, regardless of spiritual, ecclesiastical or denominational tradition. The Chaplain makes a spiritual assessment of the patient and charts in the patients chart in the interdisciplinary spiritual assessment assessment section. The Chaplain Priest will celebrate Mass and offer the Sacraments to Catholic patients.
- One-year chaplain experience in multidisciplinary health care setting preferred
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum four units of clinical pastoral education (CPE) or CPE units in progress
- Must be a Roman Catholic Priest, endorsed by the Ordinary of the Diocese of Reno, and when applicable by his religious order supervisor
- Certification desirable
- Completion or continuing education including courses in counseling, psychology and theology preferred
- Present and continuing endorsement by an ecclesiastical body recognized by St. Mary’s
- Requires an ecumenical perspective and the ability to work well with people of all faiths
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
SMRMC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status, disability, race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or other protected characteristics. Since the sale of SMRMC to Prime Healthcare, we are no longer a Catholic institution. However, we remain committed to serving the Catholic community by offering Catholic Mass, Sacraments, and visitation by our trained Catholic volunteers and full-time Chaplain Priest. If you need special accommodation for the application process, please contact Human Resources: email@example.com. For further information: https://www.smarthires.com/jobopenings/SAINT-MARY%27S-REGIONAL-MEDICAL-CENTER.htm or call Dr. Jami-Sue Coleman at 775-770-3000.– Posted March 10, 2017
CHAPLAIN – Full Time or On Call
Milwaukee & Racine, WI
Ascension Healthcare has immediate opportunities for a Full-Time & On-Call Chaplains
- One Full time Women and Infant Chaplain
- One Full time Hospital Chaplain
- Multiple On-Call Pool Chaplains
Chaplains facilitate spiritual well-being by assisting patients, families, associates and the wider community to cope and identify sources of meaning and hope in their experience of life transitions, inclusive of suffering, loss and grief. Chaplains support patients in drawing upon their values and beliefs in the context of their life story, especially during times of health crisis. Chaplains do this by providing individual and family spiritual assessment and associate support; advocacy for patient well-being; prayer, worship services, rituals, and sacraments; through facilitating support groups and family meetings/care conferences; by serving as a liaison to community clergy and resources; facilitating clinical ethical decisions; and actively participating as an integral member of the clinical care team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBLITIES
- Provide effective spiritual care as part of an interdisciplinary team that contributes to the well-being of patients, families, and associates.
- Document a spiritual assessment, intervention and plan of care in the electronic health record.
- Advocate for patients and families and create/facilitate rituals for individuals/groups and organizational needs.
- Collaborate with area clergy to honor the requests of patients and families.
- Participates in on-call rotation with team in order to provide spiritual care patients, families, and associate 24 hours/day, 365 days/year.
- Utilizes supervision, consultation, and peer review to evaluate professional growth and to improve professional performance.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
Full Time Staff Role: Board Certified or eligible. Master’s Degree in theology, pastoral studies, divinity or related field from an accredited college or university. Minimum of four units of Clinical Pastoral Education.
- Ecclesial Endorsement
- Valid Driver’s License
- Proof of Automotive Insurance
On Call Role: Master’s Degree in theology, pastoral studies, divinity or related field from an accredited college or university. Minimum of one unit of Clinical Pastoral Education. Experience in health care setting.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Establish and maintain professional relationships.
- Strong communication skills with an ability to actively listen and respond utilizing immediacy skills.
- Strong spiritual assessment capabilities. Ability to articulate a pastoral theology that is both contemporary and functional.
- Integration of an identity that respects all faith traditions. Sensitivity to cultural, religious and ethnic diversity.
- Ability to articulate medical/ethical issues.
- Computer literacy with working knowledge of technology and social media.
Accountability to the organization’s professional standards, ethics, goals, and expectations.
Please contact Carolyn Arts at Carolyn.firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 870-9896 for additional information.
DIRECTOR of SPIRITUAL CARE
Portage, WI – Divine Savior Healthcare is seeking a Director of Spiritual Care to carry forth the mission of Divine Savior Healthcare and the Sisters of Divine Savior by way of pastoral support at the bedside, presence on the interdisciplinary care team, and overseeing chaplaincy care at the hospital and Tivoli. Primarily responsible for planning, coordinating and directing all activities related to meeting the spiritual needs of patients, residents, families and staff. Creates and maintains a working relationship with administration, medical staff and personnel in order to establish an effective pastoral program. Coordinates the efforts of community clergy and volunteer chaplains to provide patient/resident visitation and spiritual care. We do require that this person is baptized Catholic and currently practicing the Catholic faith. Apply online at jobs.dshealthcare.com or call Gina at 608-745-5189.– Posted February 16, 2017
DIRECTOR OF PASTORAL CARE
Rockville Centre, New York – Explore a career with Mercy Medical Center, a 375-bed not-for-profit hospital and member of the Catholic Health Services of Long Island that has been serving the healthcare needs for the residents of Nassau County and its surrounding areas since 1913. Ranked among the top hospitals in New York State, Mercy offers a NYS designated Stroke Center, Breast Imaging Center of Excellence, Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, and has received Pathway to Excellence designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center – the only hospital in the region and one of only two in NY State to receive this prestigious award.
In this leadership role within our Pastoral Care Department, you will oversee the daily operations, along with the provision and maintenance of pastoral care to patients, their families, physicians and hospital staff. Key to this position will be collaborating with system and facility leadership to ensure the principles and traditions of the Catholic health ministry, along with the mission and core values of Mercy Medical Center, are integrated into the organization’s operations, structures, objectives and practices.
Responsibilities will include:
- Directing the pastoral care function, including preparing budgets
- Advising patients and staff on all matters of religious law
- Participating in educational seminars/programs to benefit the community
- Developing programs to meet religious and cultural needs of the population
- Organizing and conducting all religious services and observances within the hospital
- Acting as a liaison between patient, family and hospital staff during periods of crisis
- Assisting administration in the development of policies/procedures related to religious observances
- Arranging suitable chaplaincy coverage for other faiths
- Providing venue and pastoral staff as mentors for students to train as chaplains
- Participating in general hospital orientation of new staff members
- Serving as a point of contact for regulatory agencies regarding the Charitable Medical Care Law
The successful candidate will be a committed and active Catholic in good standing, have a Master’s Degree in Theology, Spirituality or Pastoral Counseling, preferably with a working knowledge of operations, government affairs, healthcare trends and finances. At least 3 years of progressively responsible leadership experience will be expected, as will the ability to work effectively within the organizational structures of the Roman Catholic Church, and knowledge of Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Services. Excellent decision-making, oral/written communication and interpersonal skills a must.
We offer a competitive salary, dynamic work atmosphere, and a generous benefits package. For immediate consideration, please apply online at:https://jobs.chsli.org/job/rockville-centre/director-pastoral-care/247/3051976
MERCY MEDICAL CENTER
A Member of the Catholic Health Services of Long Island
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V– Posted February 16, 2017
PASTORAL CARE – Part-Time, Days
Palos Heights, IL
PALOS IS One of Kind. Aren’t You?
Palos Health has gone above and beyond to change the healthcare experience. With change comes expansion and opportunity. To continue our commitment of providing the highest standard of care, apply online today to join our One of a Kind team.
PASTORAL CARE – Part-Time, Days
We are seeking a team member at Palos Health who can visit our patients and assess their spiritual needs. This member of our team will then provide spiritual and emotional support to our patients, their families, and personnel at times of crisis and in difficult situations. We will rely on this team member to provide opportunities for the reception of Sacraments of Reconciliation, Eucharist and Sacrament of the Sick. They must be available for the emergency administration of the Sacrament of Baptism. This team member will also be responsible for recording information on the administration of the Sacraments in the proper register.
Graduate of an accredited college or university is preferred. Must be a compassionate individual with empathy for patients, family and staff as well as a good listener and be able to handle/deal effectively with people in an emergency situation. Experience in spiritual care in a health care setting is also preferred. Must be committed to working as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
Located in the southwest suburbs of Chicago, we offer a collaborative, friendly environment in a community based hospital committed to providing excellence to our patients and employees. To apply online for immediate consideration and view more about our hospital, benefits, and other details, visit our website careers page.www.paloshealth.com/careers/
12251 S. 80th Ave., Palos Heights, IL 60463
EOE– Posted February 9, 2017
MAYO CLINIC CPE
Rochester, Minnesota – Three resident positions beginning September 5, 2017 through August 31, 2018, three units of CPE spread out over a 12-month residency. Residents are offered a broad array of clinical opportunities, which include medical and surgical subspecialties, diverse intensive care unit ministries, organ transplantation, a children’s hospital, a psychiatric hospital, hospice, and a level 1 regional trauma center. Two different hospital campuses make this a uniquely powerful learning environment. Mayo Clinic health and dental benefits are available to Residents at reasonable rates. The Resident stipend is $29,800 for 12 months. There is no tuition fee. Application Deadline is March 31, 2017.
For program information or to apply, visit our website: www.mayo.edu/mayo-clinic-school-of-health-sciences/careers/clinical-pastoral-education/clinical-pastoral-education-residency-minnesota
Contact: Heidi Durland, CPE Residency Program Administrative Assistant. E-mail: email@example.com
Phone: (507) 266-7275– Posted February 2, 2017
Providence Health & Services, California Center for CPE (Torrance and San Pedro) – Residency positions available for the Los Angeles-area “South Bay Program” CPE group meetings in Torrance. Clinical placements at Providence hospitals in Torrance, and San Pedro. Residency runs from late Aug. 2017 – late Aug. 2018. Stipend $31,500, plus medical benefits and on-call pay. Contact Teleso Satele, 310/303-6156, Teleso.firstname.lastname@example.org– Posted January 30, 2017
Providence Health & Services, California Center for CPE (Burbank, Tarzana, and Santa Monica) – Residency positions available for the Los Angeles-area “Valley & West Side Program.” CPE group meetings in Burbank. Clinical placements at Providence hospitals in Burbank, Tarzana, and Santa Monica. Residency runs from late Aug. 2017 – late Aug. 2018. Stipend $31,500, plus medical benefits and on-call pay. Contact Bryan Ferry, 818/847-3353, Bryan.email@example.com– Posted January 30, 2017
ROMAN CATHOLIC PRIEST CHAPLAIN
University of Maryland St. Joseph’s Medical Center, Towson, Maryland – UM St. Joseph Medical Center is currently seeking a Roman Catholic Priest Chaplain to support and promote the Catholic identity, values, mission and philosophy of the UM St. Joseph Medical Center. This position upholds and provides consultation regarding the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services (USCCB) and ministers to the sacramental needs and rituals of Catholic patients; honors and supports the faith traditions of all patients, providing appropriate prayer and ritual, according to patient’s needs.
This position requires the employee to work: every other Thursday, as well as EVERY Friday, Saturday and Sunday, including nightly “on call”.
- Ordination as a Roman Catholic Priest
- Faculties or the ability to obtain faculties within the Archdiocese of Baltimore
- 2-4 units of Clinical Pastoral Education from an accredited Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, NACC or APC or AAPC – Certification as a Board Certified Chaplain is preferred
- Three (3) years relevant, pastoral experience or equivalent
To learn more and to apply, please visit:
The University of Maryland Medical System is a 12-hospital system with academic, community and specialty service missions reaching every part of the state and beyond. St. Joseph’s became a proud member of University of Maryland Medical System in December of 2012, and carried its rich history of providing loving service and compassionate care since its founding in 1864 by the Sisters of St. Francis.
UM St. Joseph is an inclusive workplace and an equal opportunity/affirmative action plan employer. M/F/D/V.– Posted January 30, 2017
DIRECTOR of PASTORAL CARE and MISSION
Waterville, Maine – Mount Saint Joseph Residence and Rehabilitation in Waterville is seeking a Director of Pastoral Care and Mission. Our 138 bed facility offers assisted living, licensed skilled post-acute nursing and rehabilitation, long-term care, memory care and behavioral health in a holistic environment.
Mount Saint Joseph is a holistic care community founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Lyons and sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy of West Hartford that provides a competitive compensation and benefit package that complements this opportunity for personal growth and professional advancement. Mount Saint Joseph is a Trinity Health Senior Community.
The person in this position is responsible for the day-to-day leadership and oversight of the Pastoral Care Department. The Director develops and manages services designed to meet the religious and/or spiritual needs of residents and their families as well as facility team members. Supervises a team of chaplains both staff and volunteer in meeting the purpose and goals of the department. The Director of Pastoral Care and Mission serves as a member of the senior management team and as an internal consultant to the ethics committee. This position supports the mission and core values of Mount Saint Joseph by serving as an ambassador and collaborates with the senior leadership team in determining priorities for spiritual grounding and Catholic healthcare ethics.
Additional responsibilities include ensuring that the mission and values of Mount Saint Joseph are present in all aspects of daily work. Position involves a high level of collaborating with the direct care workers and all ancillary departments. Must be able to build consensus and foster collaboration among workgroups.
The Director plans and leads various religious services, events, studies and observances within the Mount Saint Joseph community on a regular basis. Ability to function within a faith based organization and ensure the spiritual needs for Catholic, Protestant and Jewish residents are actively cared for and fostered.
For immediate consideration please submit a current resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org– Posted January 26, 2017
SPIRITUAL CARE STAFF CHAPLAIN
Carroll, Iowa – St. Anthony Regional Hospital & Nursing Home located in Carroll, Iowa has an opening for Staff Chaplain in our Spiritual Care Department.
St. Anthony Regional Hospital is a Catholic, not-for-profit, 99 bed facility with a connected 79 bed Nursing Home with active Hospice. St. Anthony is one of the largest employers in the area with more than 700 skilled and dedicated staff.
St. Anthony patients and residents have access to state-of-the-art equipment, up-to-date treatment procedures and physicians in many specialty areas. Compassionate, inter-faith, cost-effective care is provided in an atmosphere which reflects the organization’s Franciscan heritage, with an emphasis placed on serving each patient’s physical, spiritual, and psychological needs.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in Theology, Pastoral Care or Spiritual Counseling, including two units of Clinical Pastoral Education, completion of certification is required within a year of hire. A Master’s degree is preferred and knowledge of Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Healthcare is preferred.St. Anthony has a strong and respected reputation for excellent patient care as well as high quality outcome measures.
Caring and compassion are a hallmark of the institution.
Come join our exceptional team of compassionate professionals.
311 South Clark Street
Pre-employment drug screen required.– Posted January 26, 2017
CPE OPPORTUNITIES FOR GROWTH AND LEARNING
GUNDERSEN HEALTH SYSTEM, LA CROSSE WI – Join our dynamic CPE program nestled in the majestic bluffs along the Mississippi River in La Crosse at Gundersen Health System, where nationally recognized quality meets dedicated, compassionate professionals, caring for patients in all stages of life.
Summer Intensive CPE Program
May 30-August 11, 2017
• $500 stipend (subject to approval)
Extended CPE Program
Oct. 5, 2017-March 9, 2018
• $500 stipend (subject to approval)
CPE Residency Program
Aug. 21, 2017-Aug. 24, 2018
- Stipend $32,500
- Health and dental insurance available
- Vacation and sick days
- Tax-exempt housing allowance (for qualified applicants) and more
Our Clinical Pastoral Education offers an unparalleled education, robust stipend, reasonable cost of living, and benefits including health insurance for residents.
Engage with… a diverse resource group composed of board certified chaplains, interdisciplinary staff and peer group
Participate… in interdisciplinary care of patients and provide quality, evidence-based spiritual care
Be trained… in our internationally recognized advance care planning
Take part… in clinical placements in our new Level II trauma center, hospice program and out-patient care with oncology and palliative care
How to apply: Find your application by visiting gundersenhealth.org/spiritual-care and selecting clinical pastoral education on the left side of your screen. Follow the instructions from there.
No application fee.
Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, Inc. | Gundersen Clinic, Ltd. | 15350-8_1216– Posted January 26, 2017
SPIRITUAL CARE MINISTER – 32 hours a week
St Vincent Hospital, Green Bay, WI
Assists the patient and her/his family in coping with the psychological, social, emotional and spiritual needs in time of illness and/or stress. Provides an atmosphere of concern and recognition of the dignity of the human person in the light of the gospel of Christ. Helps preserve a patient-centered attitude of care. Gives the patient an opportunity to verbalize feelings regarding his/her illness, assesses needs and documents interventions. Promotes a team approach with other disciplines.
May be a member of a religious order or a lay person with education in the care of the sick and dying. Other health related experience is acceptable. Must have a friendly, empathetic personality with some experience in theology and pastoral ministry.
Two units of Clinical Pastoral Education are required within two years of hire.
Certifications, Licenses and Registrations
Board Certification by the NACC (National Association of Catholic Chaplains), APC, or NAJC) required or working toward certification.
Please apply at www.hshscareers.jobs– Posted January 19, 2017
The NACC does not offer job placement services.
Please contact employers directly—do not send resumes to the NACC